Another week has gone by and I’m happy to report that I’m up to page 177 out of 252. Progress is being made on the reading and observing part. Actually it’s a bit of a cheat as I only really covered 3-ply and 4-ply yarns sections (lots of projects to pursue in these sections). I now know that 3-ply yarns are perfectly balanced – amazing – who knew?
On to the project-making part that has been weighing heavily on my mind. Not really so heavily, but it sounds good. I feel like I’m going one step forward and two steps backwards.
Mistake 1: I purchased a lovely variegated yarn for the project and then realized that the mitts have a cable pattern. How will it ever show up with this yarn? Back to Michael’s for a pretty solid blue wool. By the way, this yarn has 3-plies.
Mistake 2: I actually purchased a set of double-pointed needles in size 7 (4.5mm) when I probably have at least 3 sets (since my last purge of needles and hooks). So I get home with my solid yarn and dutifully swatch a good-sized swatch. No good – gauge 18 sts and 24 rows over 4″.
Mistake 3: I tried a swatch with straight size 6 (4mm) needles (before I buy another set of dons). Well this gauge is 19 sts and 26 rows over 4″. Ugh! Not good. I can’t go much lower in needle size with this yarn.
Brilliant idea! I exchanged the size 7 (4.5mm) double-pointed needles at Michael’s. Forget that I had made a swatch with 2 of the needles (hardly used) for a set of bamboo double-pointed size 6 (4mm) needles.
The result: 20 sts and 26 rows over 4″. I give up! I’ve knit more swatting than one whole finished mitt. I’m going to knit the mitts with the bamboo needles and hope for the best. I know this is technically wrong – knitting gods, please forgive me!